Forum

The Forum is open to all for viewing – Register if you wish to contribute..

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

A general discussion Forum for Neural Networks

Hi and welcome to our general discussion on all things related to Neural Nets and Machine Learning. If you wish to try out a posting before using this forum topic then go to the forum at the top - 'Hello and Welcome' and try it out by saying 'hello' first. You can get there by clicking here :Welcome and say hello

Can a Machine really be intelligent ?

Now that's a good question...

Now this is a real subject for discussion. According to Godel...[Admin Edit}

Sorry Bishop - I told you before, we are NOT going into Godel and his completeness theorem, nor what his face - Turing nor Heisenberg - This is a nice friendly Forum about Machine Intelligence, not a philosophical diatribe... OK.

Okedoky - So, to talk about 'Machine Intelligence'  we need to define it so,  - What is intelligence?  And, for that matter, what is consciousness ? So, Can a machine be 'Conscious'?

You know very well that this is not what the Forum is about - this Forum is about the current knowledge of Machine Intelligence and principally about  Neural Networks. If need be I can start another Topic about the philosophy of Machine Intelligence - How's That.

Don't worry I did it already!

So Can a Machine be conscious then ?

Assuming the Human mind to be aware and conscious - humans have between 80 - 100 billion neurones in the brain - plus all the billions of synaptic connections - currently the biggest neural network in a super-computer has around 16 million neural units - a bit like a tadpole - so is a tadpole conscious ? - is it possible to communicate sensibly with a newt ?

I think we may get more out of a newt than we get out of you. LOL

In which case, I stand by my previous comment.

newtI like newts.